Print coloured by Denis Shaw, who also found the extracts below.
The remains of the original village of Winlaton Mill were once covered by waste from the coal washery and spoil from Derwenthaugh coke works. The site was cleared in the 1990s to form what is now Derwenthaugh Country Park and sports amenities, and the spoil was moved to form what is now Kite Hill, between the high dam and nine arches bridge.
The plan below is a modern facsimile of a document drawn up by John Warner between 1714 – 1718. The commission was issued by John Crowley following the death of his father, Ambrose III, in 1713. The original plan is in the archives at the Discovery Museum. (Record reference DX 104/1.)
Entry on Historic England.
Entry on Tyne & Wear Sitelines.
Entry on ARCHI UK (Archaeology)
Aerial film of Winlaton Mill by Malcolm Hands